Friday, May 28, 2010

Penthouse Dreams

Thanks to McKenzie Ditter, I came across this article from whatweekly.com. McKenzie posted it on her blog because she can be seen in a photo a little more than halfway down the page as she meditates at Evolver's Dream Spore, a weekend event including yoga, round table discussions, and camping in Freeland. Judging from the photos alone, it looks like it was a pretty neat event!

I share it with you now because something that caught my eye on this website were photos from the Penthouse suite at Silo Point in Baltimore-- a place that, in 1923, was the fastest railroad grain elevator in the world and today is a luxury condominium building located near Locust Point. I knew it was Silo Point without even looking at the text because of this photo:



How could a 20-year-old college student possibly be familiar with the bathroom of a $4 million+ penthouse? Because John and I attended a party there last summer hosted by his friend's wife while the place still had prospective buyers. (Maybe it still does, I don't know. I haven't been keeping up with the market lately. Cough.)

Also, I um... "used" their bathroom.



The toilet that can be seen off to the side of the first photo was the most impressive part of the very large bathroom. Yes, the toilet. Shut the door, sit down, and look at all of Baltimore from over 300 feet up as you relieve yourself. I highly recommend this experience if you get the opportunity. I had at least three "opportunities."

Check out the rest of the photos and you'll see what amazing architecture was used in the renovation of the site, not to mention the breathtaking views of the city.

Don't ask me how the party was allowed to happen-- I never did know what my boyfriend's friend's wife's connection to the place was. (Obviously, my own connection was pretty loose.) The penthouse's main living area didn't even have real floors yet, unlike it does during the party whatweekly.com shows. The local jam/techno band Segway played a couple of longs sets of entrancing music that had even the most timid dancing along as some pretty professional looking lights bounced around the large empty space and even up onto the ceiling above.

It was definitely one of the most surreal experiences I've had. I tried to imagine what it would be like to actually live in a place like that and not just party in it: The floor-to-ceiling windows all throughout the house letting in light, the strange quietness of living technically in the city, but also above it. Meanwhile, here I was in dream land, picturing it all as rain drops from the seemingly within-reach clouds fell on my head while standing on the dizzying balcony. Cool indeed.

This latest party at the Locust Point hot spot sure looks fancy-- the suits, the dresses, the art, the professional photographer. But I think our "secret" party was quite a rare and special (and chaotic) event.

No comments:

Post a Comment