Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Blogs of note

I've been browsing tons of blogs this morning while Lucy and Georgia (my two-day-a-week children) take much-needed rests. Unfortunately, Blogger.com doesn't exactly make it easy to search for blogs by topic or title. Luckily, many of the bloggers I've come across are generous enough to link to others' sites so the reading doesn't have to stop. (Now if only I could get some of these strangers to link to mine!) Here are a few sites I enjoy. I've been an avid reader of a few of them for awhile, but some I've stumbled across just today.

Bmore Musically Informed is a great site for finding out about deep down underground music in the Baltimore area. I've never heard of 95% of the bands they write about, but I often come across gems thanks to their frequent posting of songs playable directly on the blog. Of course, the one time I leave a comment there, I'm accused of spam, but whatever. You're welcome, Bmore.



The Sweetie Pie Press is one I found today thanks to McKenzie's blog (which you should already know about, so read it), and, well, it's really cute. Great photos of city life and creation mixed in with stories of adventure.



Placebo Journal Blog describes itself as medical humor with a purpose. Equal parts sarcasm and information, this blog actually makes science interesting for those who, otherwise, don't particularly give a damn.



Sleep Talkin' Man is a hilarious (and completely true) blog of an English man's nighttime outbursts of sleepspeak. His wife makes it her job to jot down or record everything Adam says in his sleep-- the words that come out of his mouth are ridiculous. There are a few videos for the non-believers, and the couple has even been featured on several television shows thanks to the popularity of the blog. Buy a Sleep Talkin' Man shirt or apron now!



Boehmcke's Human Condition is another blog to make you laugh. Don't be put off by his surname-- he's pretty much given up on getting people to pronounce it correctly. Richard Boehmcke is one of those rare bloggers that writes about himself and other seemingly mundane topics while managing to make it truly entertaining. You don't have to know his life story to enjoy it.



If you want to stay up to date on the homocides of Baltimore, look no further than Baltimore Crime, an up-to-date source for-- you guessed it-- Baltimore crime. Morbid, yes, but interesting? Admittedly, yes.



This list of blogs unintentionally became somewhat Baltimore themed, but I can't not link you to City Paper's The News Hole, especially since I was just offered a fall internship with City Paper. (Go, me!) The News Hole covers everything in the land deemed newsworthy, and many of CP's staff members contribute. Did you know Baltimore's new slogan is "Find Your Happy Place"? Yeah. "Get In On It" was bad enough, but this is too much. They should have stuck with "Believe." It was simple and non-sucky, but what do I know? Just one of the many things I learned by reading this blog.




I plan to continue my search for blogs to distract me from things such as classwork and unpacking in my new pad. Eventually, I'll link to all of the blogs I subscribe to which will hopefully guilt everyone into doing the same for me.

Let me know if there are any blogs I simply must check out!

6 comments:

  1. Yay! Balty-more! The strangest city in America... Thanks for the links (and the link to ME). I realized I have not linked to your blog on mine. (So I will NOW.) Silly me, your blog is the only one of its kind that I read. Most of the ones I link to are about things that interest grandmas. Like gardening and muffin-baking and crocheting. God, I should really get a housecoat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! That made me laugh out loud. In that case, you should also have a tin of lozenges or something for every time the children of the neighborhood come over. That sounds like something a grandma would do... except you'd be the hippest grandma EVAR.

    And thanks for linking to my blog! I hadn't noticed I wasn't in there, but I feel special that I am now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I liked them!! I opted out on the Baltimore Crimes one just b/c I'd freak out hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've in the same boat. i love searching through random blogs i come across. thanks for sharing some of your looks.

    take a look at my blog : atoodleleedo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stumbled on your blog from 20sb. Love all the interesting links - just increased my blogroll tons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've started using Stumble to find great websites that I might be interested in. It's really helpful!!

    www.cherrymenlove.com is a website I read daily and it makes me want her life.

    ReplyDelete