Friday, April 17, 2009

Support... Like a Bra!



Fools & Horses is a kickass Baltimore band whose sound-- if it needed to be defined-- could be defined as alternative rock/pop/awesome. I found out about them back in 2006 after they won a contest to open for Bon Jovi in Washington D.C. I, of course, attended this particular show with my dad, not ever having heard of Fools & Horses before.

Overall, that wasn't the greatest night ever. My dad and I thoroughly enjoyed Fools & Horses' set and vowed to check them out, but after Bon Jovi came on, this old, fat, should-be-in-the-mafia guy and his wife who were sitting behind me asked (told) me to sit down. This was not a Righteous Brothers concert. Sit down? I politely apologized and then informed them that I did not want to sit down because I was, well, at a ROCK concert. When I told them this, they proceeded to cuss me (a small, young, fragile girl) out. I stood up for myself (pun intended) and fired right back at them. There might've been an explicative or five on my end, but these people were downright abusive. Throughout the show, they kicked my chair and called my "boyfriend" (uh, my dad) an asshole. Maybe in the dark lighting I looked years beyond my age, and my dad, years before his own, but-- wow. Anyway, on top of these jerks ruining my concert experience, Jon Bon Jovi definitely had a cold (he gets terribly nasal when he's sick), and after the show, I went online only to find out that Heather Locklear filed divorce from Richie Sambora that day. (Richie probably found out not long before I and the rest of the world did. Poor guy didn't see it coming.)

But at least I was introduced to Fools & Horses. Which brings me back to the original point.

Fast forward a couple of years later, to almost a year ago. I was on Fools' Myspace and saw a widget thingy that said the band was looking for an intern. Guess who sent them an email? You can see where this is going. So anyway, now I do things for the band like promoting them on campus or via internet (this post is serving as a wonderful example), occasionally researching out-of-state venues or outlets, and selling merchandise at shows I can make it out to with a couple of other lovely F&H ladies. It's been a great almost-year. I've been to more shows than I can count and have met some awesome people along the way.

The boys went overseas to Asia toward the end of March to play for troops, their families and the locals. They have been blogging about the experience along the way and get back this week. Yeah, I wasn't very timely with that little tidbit, but it'll still make for an interesting read nonetheless. Sounds like they've been having a pretty neat time over there.

If you want to show some SUPPORT (finally tied in the title), you can help the guys score some free CD duplication services, recording time, a new guitar, and lots of Chipotle gift cards for the road, you can go here and make a pledge on their behalf to WTMD 89.7 FM, which is the best radio station I know. It's publicly supported and could really use the help. A minimum donation of $15 will also get YOU two free tickets to the Baltimore Band Bloc Party at the Recher Theatre in Towson, MD on May 9th. Fools and many of the other competing bands will be performing at the show, and the winner of the pledge challenge will be announced there.

So do something USEFUL today and head on over to WTMD's site! I think I provided you with enough links. I appreciate it. The guys will appreciate it. I'll see you at the show.



Currently Listening To: "Wishin' and Hopin'" - Ani DeFranco (from the My Best Friend's Wedding soundtrack)

No comments:

Post a Comment