Friday, May 1, 2009

It's Raining Gays

I've been taking a course in LGBT studies (that's lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) this semester, and the professor recently showed us a surprising and-- if it wasn't so filled with bigotry-- almost funny ad from the National Organization of Marriage. Their use of the thunderstorm metaphor really conveys their message wonderfully. In case you haven't already seen it:



I almost thought it was a joke the first time I watched it. The dramatic flashes of lightning, the pathetic homophobe girl with bad posture claiming how she is being left with no choice, and, to top it all off, the "rainbow correlation" that is being formed. Ha! Was that unintentional? Or is that their way of trying to discredit the rainbow that symbolizes the LGBT community and their allies? You know, to keep the rainbow in the heterosexual community where it belongs? Who knows, but those actors must've been really behind on their rent when they did that commercial.

A few celebrities joined together to strike back against the NOM, and created this parody ad for FunnyOrDie.com:



In your face, homophobes.

Stephen Colbert also did a parody commercial, which you can check out here.

Currently Listening To: "Dear Joan" - Rob Thomas

1 comment:

  1. HA! That is so incredible. But you're right. They must have been broke or something. I really want to play when you get home! You're welcome anytime. And I have a permit again, so I can even drive to you!

    I do have every intention of selling my artwork. I should make an etsy page today! I just finished getting my studio all set up and ready. It's great to have everything so organized, you know the feeling.

    I had some of my work at a gala in Baltimore a few weeks ago. I have a bunch of nice copies and i've matted them and some are even framed. Most are in plastic sleeves though. I'll give you one if you want. Will you help promote me? I just need more exposure. Once we have a functional car again, I want to do more shows and things of the sort. Thank you so much for all of your support. It feels really good :)

    ReplyDelete